Veneers are an innovative cosmetic dental solution used to improve surface flaws on the teeth, like chips, cracks, or discoloration. They are also sometimes used to close gaps between teeth. Veneers come in a variety of forms that can be broken down into two main categories: traditional veneers and no-prep veneers.
Lumineers are a type of no-prep veneer, making them an effective and safe dental veneer system. For these reasons and more, Lumineers are the number one patient-requested veneer system in the world. Unlike traditional veneers, Lumineer procedures can only be performed by a certified Lumineers dentist. To help decide if Lumineers are the right choice for you, it is a good idea to weigh the benefits of Lumineers versus those of traditional porcelain veneers.
Lumineers vs Traditional Veneers
Both traditional veneers and Lumineers work by placing a thin shell over the surface of the teeth to cover chips and cracks. However, when it comes to choosing the right veneer treatment system for your smile, it is important to remember that not all veneers are created equally. Lumineers are considered a safer approach than traditional veneers, as they are less intensive and time-consuming.
Before applying a traditional veneer, the tooth is prepared by removing about a millimeter of the tooth’s enamel. This way, the veneer can fit over the tooth without appearing too bulky or unnatural looking. Preparation for traditional veneers typically requires shots and anesthesia to minimize pain during the enamel removal process. Traditional veneers are an irreversible process, due to the fact that a good portion of the enamel is removed. Patients will also need to undergo time-consuming appointments to have impressions and a temporary acrylic veneer made to ensure the proper fit and shape over the tooth.
Lumineers are created using a proprietary technology that allows patients to have all of the cosmetic benefits of traditional veneers without the disadvantages. Lumineers are digitally designed, creating an exceptionally thin veneer that is about as thin as a contact lens. This allows the veneer to be placed over the tooth to create a more natural-looking smile without the invasive enamel removal. Lumineers require no shots or temporaries, so you can immediately enjoy the benefits of your brand new smile.
Cosmetic Benefits of Lumineers
Lumineers provide a range of benefits, including the following:
- Durable like traditional veneers. Lumineers are made out of durable porcelain, providing a high-quality treatment that is not prone to chipping or cracking.
- Improve chipped and cracked teeth. While teeth are the strongest part of the body, they are still prone to damage from trauma and enamel decay. Lumineers can reverse the effects of enamel damage and restore the natural appearance of cracked and chipped teeth.
- Improve minor gaps between teeth. Lumineers can be attached over teeth to “bridge” over gaps in a patient’s smile.
- Straighten out crooked teeth. Lumineers are often recommended for patients who want straighter teeth without undergoing orthodontic braces treatments.
- Whiten discolored teeth. While teeth whitening treatments can often reverse minor discoloration and staining, advanced staining can make these tradition teeth whitening treatments ineffective. Lumineers can provide patients with their desired shade of whiteness.
- Tetracycline discolored teeth. Although teeth bleaching is available to fix tetracycline discoloration, the dentin really cannot be whitened. We can cover the stains at EQ Dental with porcelain veneers. These thin porcelain veneers are placed over the visible front surfaces of the teeth to hide blemishes and imperfections.
Schedule an Appointment for Lumineers
At EQ Dental, you can get Lumineers in as little as three visits from our certified Lumineers dentist. During the first visit, we will conduct a thorough consultation to determine you are the right candidate. If we find that you are a good candidate, we will take impressions of your teeth, then send these impressions to a laboratory to have the veneers created. Once your Lumineers are created, we will schedule another appointment to attach the veneer using a bonding agent, then we will assess your bite to ensure it is as symmetrical as possible.
Want to learn more about Lumineers at EQ Dental? Call our office today at 817-741-4567.